Our Mission & Purpose
Residence halls are one of the primary settings for student development programs in colleges and universities. The Commission for Housing and Residence Life is one of the largest of ACPA’s commissions and actively involves its members in meeting seven major objectives:
1. To provide leadership to ACPA and the profession in general for student development in college residence halls.
2. To identify issues of special concern and advise colleagues regarding these concerns through the support of research efforts, survey information, reports, position papers, and task force investigations.
3. To communicate innovative ideas, special issues, problem resolution, and research information with a broad base of individuals throughout the country who are involved in residence education.
4. To maintain a working relationship with other professional organizations, student associations, and other commissions, divisions, and agencies within ACPA that maintain similar or overlapping objectives.
5. To cultivate professional development experiences through sponsoring and implementing convention programs and regional workshops.
6. To assist in developing a set of professional standards for staff working in residence halls.
7. To develop a plan and a process for evaluating the work and leadership of the Commission.